Wound care instructions
Please click here for a printable PDF of these instructions.
1. Leave the bandage on the wound for 24-48 hours after the procedure
2. After 24-48 hours, remove the dressing and gently clean the wound with dilute soap and water. Pat dry and apply ointment (such as petroleum jelly) directly to the wound. You may use hydrogen peroxide sparingly, if necessary, to remove any scab formation.
3. Apply a suitable dressing and repeat this process 1-2 times a day for the next 1-2 weeks. Keeping your wound moist and covered with an ointment and bandage or non-adhesive pad has been shown to improve healing.
4. The local anesthetic usually wears off in approximately 1-2 hours. If you experience pain, you make take 1-2 tablets of acetaminophen every six hours as needed. Do NOT take medications that contain aspirin or ibuprofen for the first 24 hours after your procedure/surgery as they can increase the risk of bleeding. If pain persists, then please call the office.
5. If excessive bleeding occurs, place firm continuous pressure on the site for at least 10 minutes. Then if bleeding continues repeat this process, you may also use an ice pack while holding pressure. If bleeding persists, please call the office.
6. Keep stitches absolutely dry for the first 24-48 hours. After that, you may get the area wet but do not submerge it in water for long periods of time until the stitches are removed.
7. If the wound is in a weight-bearing area, please limit activity in order to avoid your sutures coming undone for at least 2 weeks after your procedure. Additionally, please avoid strenuous activity for the first 24 hours after your procedure and limit your activity until your stitches are removed.
8. Avoid the sun and use sunscreen after the wound is healed, as sun exposure can result in a darkened scar.
We will contact you in 1-2 weeks with the pathology results. If you have not been informed within 2 weeks, please contact our office. If you have problems or questions, please call our office and we will be happy to assist you.
We will usually schedule removal of your stitches approximately 7-14 days after your procedure depending on the area treated. The stitches must come out by 14 days.
Please call our office at 713.952.8400 with any questions or concerns.